The Covid-19 pandemic has significantly disrupted travel and tour operations in Alaska and worldwide. Our 2020 tour season was completely canceled. 2021 offered the ability to restart some trips, with limited visitors and the Canadian border remaining closed for the majority of the summer. We’re looking forward to continued improvement in 2022 and the ability to restart operations of some of our Alaska/Canada itineraries.
The safety of our guests, staff, and the communities we visit and call home continues to be our top priority. See below for what you can expect if you’re considering traveling with us:
Sockeye Cycle Co. Operations
Our bike rental options are available for booking for 2022. We’re expecting new bike options arriving throughout the winter, and will post those for reservation as available.
We are hopeful that our daily tour options in Skagway and Haines will continue to resume for 2022, with some new options being developed.
We plan to resume more of our multi-day tours, and continue with those that we were able to operate in 2021. While we expect some changes in the next 8 months, guests booking tours entering Canada should be fully-vaccinated and being willing to take a COVID test upon arrival in Alaska, and as requested in Canada. As we get closer, we’ll be in touch to discuss specific rules for entering Canada.
What to Expect if Traveling With Us
We will follow all federal, state, and local regulations and recommendations in place for the duration of the tour. Please see the State of Alaska Traveler Information Site for the most updated information.
Some of the precautions we will continue to work into our day-to-day operations include:
- Social distancing: we’ll take advantage of the wide-open spaces to ensure a safe distance between guests when at rest stops, lunch, camp, etc.
- When social distancing is not possible indoors or in vehicles, we’ll require that everyone wear a face covering.
- In our shops, we’ll keep physical separation and use plexiglass barriers.
- Enhanced cleaning: our guides will clean and disinfect vehicles and rental bikes regularly. Frequent hand washing and sanitizing will be available to all guests and guides.
- For tours involving food prep, we will not be using a buffet style setup. Instead, meals will be pre-packaged or a guide will wear gloves and serve individuals.
- We may use private catered options instead of restaurant meals in some instances.
We do expect to make changes and updates to our procedures as the situation continues to evolve.
We highly recommend travel insurance so that you are covered if you need to cancel your trip due to illness or another covered reason. CFAR (cancel for any reason) policies off the most coverage. Please see our Reservation Terms and Conditions for more information on our cancellation policy.