The Covid-19 pandemic has significantly disrupted travel and tour operations in Alaska and worldwide. Our 2020 tour season was completely canceled by the restrictions on travel into Alaska. Conditions are improving in Alaska and many of the travel regulations have been eased. We expect independent travel to Alaska to be able to resume in 2021, and look forward guiding a limited number of tours.
The safety of our guests, staff, and the communities we visit and call home is our top priority. See below for what you can expect if you’re considering traveling with us in 2021:
Sockeye Cycle Co. Operations
Our bike rental options are available for booking for 2021. We have slimmed down our daily tour options to focus on a few trips in both Haines or Skagway that work well for smaller groups and allow social distancing throughout.
We plan to operate some multi-day tours. As of 6/15/21, the Canadian Border is still closed to non-essential travel. Even if it re-opens in the next few months, we will not have adequate time to make reservations and have decided not to operate the Yukon Canoe and Bike, the Canol Road, or the Golden Circle Tours in 2021. We look forward to their return in 2022. The Inside Passage and Bike Nome trips take place entirely in Alaska and can operate for 2021.
What to Expect if Traveling With Us
We will follow all federal, state, and local regulations and recommendations in place for the duration of the tour. Please see the State of Alaska Traveler Information Site for the most updated information.
Some of the precautions we will be working into our day-to-day operations include:
- Social distancing: we’ll take advantage of the wide-open spaces to ensure a safe distance between guests when at rest stops, lunch, camp, etc.
- When social distancing is not possible indoors or in vehicles, we’ll require that everyone wear a face covering.
- In our shops, we’ll keep physical separation and use plexiglass barriers.
- Enhanced cleaning: our guides will clean and disinfect vehicles and rental bikes regularly. Frequent hand washing and sanitizing will be available to all guests and guides.
- For tours involving food prep, we will not be using a buffet style setup. Instead, meals will be pre-packaged or a guide will wear gloves and serve individuals.
- We may use private catered options instead of restaurant meals in some instances.
We do expect to make changes and updates to our procedures as the situation continues to evolve.
We highly recommend travel insurance so that you are covered if you need to cancel your trip due to illness or another covered reason. Please see our Reservation Terms and Conditions for more information on our cancellation policy.